Saturday, February 12, 2005

Weekly Word for Feb. 11 to 18, 2005


Weekly Word - February 11 - 18, 2005

The Lord appeared to him from afar, saying, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.”
(Jeremiah 31:3)

I love the fact that we can talk about “anything” and “everything” - Ted and I - and on this night - we were! We were talking about loving - about the Lord - and about teaching others about “loving God”. As Ted talked - I watched his face - and saw the emotions of a man who knew how to love - and knew that God had given him gifts . . . Gifts of love . . .

The one who does not love - - - does not know God, - - - for God is love.
(1 John 4: 8)

Over the years - I would get what I called “special dreams” - dreams where I saw Jesus in them! In each of the dreams He would be dressed in every day clothes - so handsome - and always the “hero”! His eyes would be amazingly blue - and He seemed to be looking straight into my soul. In one of the dreams - He was dressed as a cowboy. He went over to a very small tree (in the dream I knew it was “me”) - where it was planted in a “ghost town” - with sand everywhere - and very little life. As I watched - He picked it up - “my” tree - lifting it higher and higher - and then He took it and carried it to a beautiful stream. There - He planted it - where it blossomed and grew. I knew that this was just what the Lord had done for me! He had taken my life - and changed it - filling me with good things - helping me to grow.

In another dream - I saw Him on a fast moving train - walking with me - and healing those who I loved! In my dreams - - - He was like a handsome, wonderful partner - that you would want to walk through life with. So it was such a surprise when someone asked me how I felt about “God the Father” . . .

See how great a love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be called children of God; and such we are.
(1 John 3:1)

“God the Father” - I have to admit - I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about “the Father” part of God! I had left home when I was 18 - a typical teenager - fighting with my parents - and believing that I could make it on my own. Determining I would never go back - I got married! Over the years - my relationship with my parents was distant - and I didn’t do anything to change that.

“God the Father?” I wasn’t so sure about that idea! Then the time came for me to get a full time job. The people I was going to work for - were from my church. I was so excited to begin this new part of my life. I told a close friend that I felt like my new boss was “like a father” to me . . .

And then he betrayed me - he made inappropriate advances - and I broke down - - - crying and so angry . . .

“God the Father”? - I had to look at that question - wondering if I would ever “want” God - to be that Father . . .

But now, O Lord, Thou art our Father, We are the clay, And Thou our potter; And all of us are the work of Thy hand.
(Isaiah 64: 8)

So many things go into making us “who we are” - - - those we love, our own choices, good things and bad - all go into the mix! That day - that betrayal - forced me to look at “who” I was - and where I was wounded. As I did - I started to ask God to heal me - to heal where scars kept me unable to trust - unable to even “see”! God was faithful though - He answered my prayers - - - and over time - I started to change - I became that tree by the river - full of life - understanding God as “my Father” . . .

The Lord opens the eyes of the blind; The Lord raises up those who are bowed down; The Lord loves the righteous.
(Psalm 146: 8)

Quite a number of years ago - I worked with another woman - teaching and counseling others. We had become close friends - and so I found myself telling her about my dreams - about seeing the Lord. “I’m jealous” she told me. And I asked her why. “I’ve never seen Him” she said “I’ve never seen the Lord”. As she said it - I was so surprised - she had been a minister for over 30 years. And I wondered why . . .

As I got to know this lady - I learned of a woman who had been raised by a stern mother - and a father who was never home. She was a very beautiful lady - and her husband quickly told her that he had married her - because she was beautiful! He then told her that he wasn’t sure he could love her - if she became overweight - or lost her beauty! This woman found herself having difficulties with friendships - difficulties in trusting anyone.

Then one day - she came into the room all excited - she had a dream! In the dream - she saw herself walking - holding the arm of a man in a tuxedo! She knew that she was walking “with the Lord”! “So you saw Him?” I asked. Then she looked at me sadly - “no, I didn’t see His face.” I wondered about the why’s. I knew that she was faithful to do God’s work - but wondered why she couldn’t trust herself to “see” God - to know Him as her friend - as Her Father . . .

The Lord opens the eyes of the blind . . .

My friend saw through eyes that had been hurt - by those people who were supposed to love her. She loved God - and ministered that love to others. God knew “who” she was - and that she was able to believe without seeing - and He honored her with that dream . . .

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
(Psalm 118: 29)

Who is God? God is Life - God is Love - - - He is the One that sees our hearts - and heals them. He is the Father - He is the Son - He is the Holy Spirit - all three! He knows just what we need - and how we need to “see” Him!

“For God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
(1 Samuel: 16: 7)

As Ted was talking - I saw a man who knew how to love. “Just as I love the kids - God loves us”! he said. “When they call - and just say hello - it makes me happy”. “That’s all God wants from us - to say hello to Him - to care - to love Him.” As Ted said this - I realized just what he was saying. Ted had never physically been a “father” - but he loves my children! He let them into his life - and into his soul. When Ted and I fell in love - there was more to that gift - more love - from God!

Looking at this man - who would do anything for “our” children - I realized how much God had really given to us - to Ted. He gave him children - He made him a “father”- - - and taught us both more about Himself - about loving and giving . . .

The one who does not love - - - does not know God, - - - for God is love.
(1 John 4: 8)

In a few days - it will be “Valentine’s Day” - a day to celebrate “Love”. Will you say “yes” to the gift of Love - that God has waiting - just for you?

Who is God? He is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - - -all three! But most of all - - - He is Love!

God bless you in this coming week ahead!

In His Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home