Friday, January 28, 2005

Weekly Word for January 28 - February 4, 2005


Weekly Word - January 28, 2005

Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.
(Hebrews 4: 16)

The forecast was for a “Blizzard”! The “warnings” were on our television stations - and we were all told to get ready - - - and so we did - - - we started to prepare for what might be ahead . . .

I had called Mike that morning - checking if he too had heard the forecast - “Oh mom - of course we have our bread and milk - just like everyone else!” was his response. Everyone, it seemed, had rushed out to the local stores - to get “supplies” - milk, bread, and whatever else might be needed, if the worst happened - - - and then the first flakes started to fall. As they did - Ted and I were ready - we had food and supplies - and we had each other. Then I started to think about other storms - other times of when I hoped for the best - - - and prepared for the worst . . .

For Thou art my hope: O Lord God, Thou art my confidence from my youth.
(Psalm 71: 5)

It was Christmas Eve - and we had gone to my grandparents’ house. I don’t remember too much of visiting with my grandparents - playing with my cousins - or even opening my presents. What I do remember - - - is the drive home. The three of us kids were in the back - and at 5 years old - I was the oldest. It was snowing so hard - and I could tell that my parents were afraid! I could hear it in their voices - and see it on their faces. As we drove - all I could see out the window - was snow! Wayne was just a baby - and so he was sleeping when the car stopped. But it didn’t stop at our house - - - it stopped in the middle of the road - - - quite a few streets away from home! And there we sat - - - snow all around us . . .

Do not fear, for I am with you; - - - for I am your God. - - - surely I will help you . . .”
(Isaiah 41: 10)

Somehow, we were going to have to walk home - through the snow - - - and I was so afraid! My two parents could carry my younger brothers - - - but there was no one - to carry me! I remember being terrified - as the snow was so deep! And then - - - help was there! I don’t know who they were - or where they came from - but two arms picked me up - - - and carried me home!

“Since you are honored and I love you, . . . Do not fear, for I am with you;”
(Isaiah 43: 4 & 5)

It was a couple of years later - - - and it was my birthday party! Everyone was there - my grandparents, aunts, and cousins - all had come to celebrate. Soon though, it started to snow - and everyone was leaving! As they quickly got on their coats and said good-bye - I felt a little angry that my party was ending before it had really begun! We watched as they all drove away - and I turned to look at my presents. It wasn’t long though - before there was a knock at our door. There - cold and wet - were my aunt and uncle - as well as my cousins. Their car was stuck in the middle of the road - just about where ours had been stuck - a couple of years earlier! That night - we all snuggled in - as the storm raged outside. Next to me - in my bed - my cousin and I giggled and laughed - all night long - - - I thought it was a wonderful birthday present . . .

“I am the Lord your God - your Savior - you are precious in My sight” . . .
(Isaiah 43: 3 & 4)

From early childhood - I had learned about storms - and the unpredictability of them. So when I became a wife and a mother - I again found myself facing a “blizzard”! Mike was just 8 months old when the first flakes started to fall. My husband had just left for work - when the world outside became all-white! This was no ordinary storm - and fear started to grip me! I was alone - with the baby - and I hoped and prayed that my husband would come back home . . .

He had turned around - and headed back home when the storm quickly became a “white-out”. Somehow, he got the car barely into the driveway - and made it into the house. And that’s where we stayed - for the next three days! It was the “Blizzard of ‘78” - and to this day - I remember the snow drifts being over my head!

It was a strange time - as cars were not allowed on the roads. So we walked - to the store with our baby. Neighbors checked on each other - and all around - people went out of their way to help each other. There were quite a few deaths attributed to that storm - - - but the storm also brought with it - a sense of caring - for those around us . . .

And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience . . .
(Colossians 3: 12)

Over the years - I have witnessed great tragedies - and the amazing gifts of compassion and caring that have come from those times . . .

When Sept. 11th happened - it was day of unimaginable loss. But the hearts of so many heroes grew on that day. As people worked to rescue their neighbors - and those they had never met - the amazing strength and compassion of a nation grew . . .

Bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, . . . And beyond all these things - put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
(Colossians 3: 13 & 14)

So we tried to prepare again - for another “blizzard” . . . and Ted and I waited out the storm - checking on our family and friends now and then - by phone. That night, we went to bed wondering what we would find the next morning . . .

By mid-morning the next day - the storm had begun to slow down - and finally ended. Along with others - Ted and I went out to shovel. We found ourselves meeting neighbors we had never met - joining together to face the storm. One neighbor had let us use her driveway - keeping our cars safe through the night. We shoveled each other’s driveways and walkways - and checked on neighbors who were unable to get out. And again I watched - as the “best” in some were found - when the most difficult of times were before them . . .

Jesus said - “Do not be afraid any longer, only believe” . . .
(Mark 5: 36)

On this earth - there will always be times of trials - times of hardships to be faced. During them - we will see what is inside of us - the fears and doubts - as well as our strengths and compassion. As you walk this road of Life - will you ask Him to be there with you - - - taking the fears - and bringing forth what is good - and life-giving . . .

And beyond all these things - put on love, . . .

God bless you in the coming week ahead!

In His Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home