Sunday, June 22, 2003

Weekly Word for June 22-28, 2003

“for truly I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you.” (Mathew 17: 20)

When I was a little girl I was given a bracelet which had a glass ball with a mustard seed inside of it. I was then told of the bible verse above. My grandmother gave me the bracelet, and that in itself made me happy. But the fact that she too always wore a bracelet just like it made it extra special. I wish I still had that bracelet! But being that I was little - of course I lost it! The teaching of the bible verse though has stuck with me to this day. In it, I learned that the mustard seed is one of the smallest seeds there is! But it grows to be one of the largest plants. My grandmother was planting a small seed of “faith” within me.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

Faith - it is such a difficult word to understand. It is the hope in something that is unseen. Believing in something that we do not fully know yet. Jesus used the words faith and belief interchangeably. I have learned that “fear” and “faith” are opposites. If we do not have “faith” - we will make our decisions from “fear”.

Ted has a friend he has worked with for a number of years. Bill seems to always find the negative in everything that is going on around him. It is as if his “faith” is that something will go wrong! His fears have grown instead of his faith. So when he makes a decision, it is because he is afraid of what might happen. This has limited Bill’s ability to freely live life. Our hope for Bill is that he will someday stop to listen, stop and see the “good” things that are around him.

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ (Romans 10:17)

Our “faith” comes from the evidence of what has happened before. It comes from what we hear, see, and experience in life. If we have lived with abuse, punishment, and hurts all through our lives; we then will have a difficult time not choosing out of fear. I guess that’s why I am so glad that you only need a little bit - and it will grow! I am also thankful that He sends us “friends” who help us to grow in faith.

Years ago, homeless with a teen-age daughter, I have to admit my faith was about the size of that mustard seed. I knew that God could do miracles! I knew that He could “move mountains”! But for me? I felt as if the Lord would not “want” to do anything special for me. I felt as if I didn’t deserve anything good, anything special. And yet He gave me so much! All the circumstances leading up to renting that house were amazing. I had gone to see a friend and told her that we needed to find a house close to Jen‘s school.

She mentioned her grandparents were looking for someone to move into the house they owned right next door to their house. She gave me their number and I called. I went to visit this wonderful couple. I told them I really didn’t know how I would fill a whole house with furniture (at that time I only had the clothes that Jen and I owned!), and still they rented it to me. Within two weeks the house was filled with furniture donated by friends or found at yard sales - and yet it all matched!! The house was beautiful. I know that the Lord did it all! The couple became like grandparents to Jen, and wonderful friends to me. The house itself was always full of laughter and warmth. To this day it amazes me!

Ted and I are again facing the question of where to move and when. Again, I wonder at how “impossible” the situation looks! I know that the Lord has brought us through so many obstacles and places in our lives. My “faith” is not as large as I wish it were. But I know He can show the way!

“Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me.” (John 14:1)

“for truly I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you.” (Mathew 17: 20)

Faith - The Lord tells us that it will grow. It only has to start the size of a mustard seed!

What is it that you have “faith” in? What is it that you “hope” in? Will you ask Him to replace your fear with “faith” and “hope“?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)


God bless you in the coming week ahead.

In His Love,

Debbie and Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home