Sunday, June 01, 2003

Weekly Word for June 1 - 7, 2003

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” (Mathew 5:8)

I was talking with a young mom a week or so ago. During our talk, she asked me this: “Have you ever wondered about all the different denominations and which one is the right one?” As she asked this question, I knew she was looking to me to help her to figure out how to be “right”. Sue (not her real name) had come from a harsh family where being right meant that she wouldn’t be severely punished. This foundation had gone into everything she chose to do. As I pondered my answer to her, I could remember back to when I too had wanted to do everything “right”!

Like Sue, I too had come from very strict parents! I also needed to find a way to be “right” in order to feel safe! Over time, the Lord has taught me that His Love is not one of condemning - but of freeing! .

Then I told her what Paul had taught in Romans. He was talking to Peter, who was upset that some of the early Christians were not doing things exactly the way that they had been done when Jesus was with them. At the time there were many rules about what could be eaten or not eaten - as well as what days to worship, etc. This is what Paul taught: He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. For not one of us lives for himself. . .(Romans 14:6 & 7a) I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. (Romans 14: 14)

for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (Romans 14:17)

My question to Sue then was: “where did she feel comfortable, cared for?” Where could she spend time and listen for that “still, small voice” that would answer every question she had? We all struggle with what is the “right” answer. It took years but the Lord showed me that what I believed was “right” wasn’t always His answer!

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” (John 16: 33)

Many years ago I worked in a ministry that was a crisis pregnancy center. We worked with young girls that were facing a “crisis pregnancy”. Our goal was to help them to choose Life - for themselves as well as for their babies. Very early in my time of working there, I met a 14 year old girl who was pregnant. The counselor who was to work with this girl called in sick that day - and I was to take over and help this girl! I was terrified! But I did what I thought was best with this young girl. She was 8 months pregnant when I met her, and was deciding to give her baby up for adoption. She also did not have a place to live! I made the calls to find a place for her to live as well as to the adoption agency to help her place her baby in a good home. A plan was made to put the young mom in a Christian foster home and when the baby was born it would be placed with a loving family. Even though I had been nervous - I felt good about what had been achieved for both mom and baby.

Then I got the call - the baby had been born and given a good home with a Christian family - but mom had changed her mind - and bolted with the baby! This young mom then went from foster home to foster home with her young baby. I found myself crying and crying - asking God why? I was so angry! I felt that the baby would not be alright - and was mad at God for letting this happen. I thought I knew what was “right” for this situation!

How wrong I was! Years went by. I was working at a community fair - at the booth for the crisis pregnancy center. (I was filling in for my friend who had become quite sick at the time!) I hadn’t even planned to be there. As I was standing there, a beautiful family came up to me. There was a mom and dad with 4 adopted children in front of me. The mom said to me: “if it weren’t for you - we wouldn’t have our son!” There stood a beautiful 8 year old boy. I looked at her questioningly. She said: “don’t you know?” “This is Pete - his mom came to you when she was 14 years old. You helped her.” All of a sudden I couldn’t breath - there stood the baby of my little 14 year old mom. She had taken him with her from place to place for 2 years. During that time, she had learned to love this little one, as well as learned to love the Lord. Mom then finished her high school test and determined she wanted to be a Missionary. Because she loved her beautiful son - she gave him up for adoption - to this family standing in front of me. The lives of mom and child were very different from the plan that I had determined was "Right"! This was God's plan - and His plan for us is always for good - for Life!

I have since learned that I don’t always know the “right” way to do things. What I do know is that God’s way is always for good - and it is always better than anything I could think of!

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Will you allow Him to show you His plans for you - for Life - for all that is good and full with joy?


God bless you in the coming week ahead.

In His Love,

Debbie and Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home