Friday, January 14, 2005

Weekly Word - January 14 to 21, 2005


Weekly Word - January 14, 2005

“But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. For truly I say to you, that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it; and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.”
(Mathew 13: 16 & 17)

As I walked into the store, the manager looked at me and commented: “You are always so happy! You smile too much! And then she said: “Don’t you ever have any troubles?” As she said this - I realized how ironic it really was! It had been one of the most difficult of days - - - and she had no clue! She didn’t even see . . .

‘You will keep on hearing, but will not understand; And you will keep on seeing, but will not perceive; For the heart of this people has become dull.’
(Mathew 13: 14b & 15a)

She was six years old - and had never been in a school room! Nervously, she wondered what to expect - - - what would her teacher be like? - - - would the other kids like her? So many questions running through her mind - and then she saw her! She was so beautiful - and seemed so nice. She quietly watched as this pretty lady came and took her hand - bringing her over to her group - - - she was going to be her teacher!

The little girl loved school! She loved her classroom and everything in it! But most of all - she loved her teacher! She had blonde hair - and a quiet voice that made her feel like everything would be alright. The girl was bright, and smart, and full of questions - which she constantly asked. For the little girl - she didn’t understand the rules of school - and so sitting in her seat - and waiting to be called on - all were foreign and new to her. She could barely contain her excitement - and so it was quite amazing that the teacher kept her patience with this little red headed “imp” in her classroom.

As the school year progressed - and got closer to ending - the little girl didn’t understand why her teacher wasn’t going to be there any more. She wished and wished - until one day - she told her teacher her wish - - - she wished that her teacher could be her mother . . .

And with their ears they scarcely hear, And they have closed their eyes -
(Mathew 13: 15)

Her parents were called in to speak with the teacher and principal. They wanted to make sure - all was alright with this child. As second grade started - a very quiet little girl was in the classroom. She never talked out loud - or got into trouble. She was going to be the “perfect” student - just like her parents had told her to be . . .

“For the heart of this people has become dull, And with their ears they scarcely hear,
And they have closed their eyes
Lest they should see with their eyes - and hear with their ears - and understand with their heart and return,
And I should heal them.”
(Mathew 13: 15)

So many times in life - we do not “see” what is really going on in someone’s life.
When I walked in to that store that day - there was no way that the manager would know the “troubles” that were in my life. I walked in - smiled - and handed her the paperwork I had been sent to bring. I listened to her as she went on talking - and then I picked up the box she had waiting for me - and left. As I got into the car - I took a deep breath - wondering if my daughter was alright.

It was on that day - that I had received the phone call that she had disappeared. Her friend had called me early that day - and told me that she was gone. As the day progressed - I heard back from other friends - and finally from her. She had found herself in an abusive relationship - and on this particular night - had left. She had called a friend - who found her walking down the street carrying her kitten - and bruised from head to toe . . .

“And you will seek Me and find Me - when you search for Me with all your heart . . .”
(Jeremiah 29: 13)

From the moment of the very first call - I started to pray - to hope - to beg - that my daughter would be alright. Even after I heard her voice - I worried. So when the woman wondered if I ever had troubles - it really was funny! Of course I had troubles - and worries - and things that were difficult in my life. She didn’t see them - - - because she couldn’t! Only those I trusted - with my hopes and prayers - could “see” what was in my heart . . .

In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
(John 1: 4 & 5)

Last week - we went to the doctor’s office. As we stepped into the elevator to leave - I saw her standing there. She had been in the same office that we had just come from. In one hand - she held her appointment card - while she wiped at her tears - with the other. I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed her - but all were looking away. I don’t know why she was crying - or what lay ahead. Silently - she tried to hide her feelings - but I saw . . .

As she walked away - I prayed that God would be with her - with whatever she was facing . . .

Praise the Lord - O my soul!
How blessed is he whose hope is in the Lord his God;
The Lord sets the prisoners free.
The Lord opens the eyes of the blind;
The Lord raises up those who are bowed down;
(Psalm 146: 2, 5, 7 & 8)

Most of us do not “see” the hurts that are in another’s heart. But over the last few weeks - we have seen it on our televisions and in our newspapers. The children who have lost so much - it is there - in their eyes.

It is hard not to turn away - when we see the hurt in another’s eyes. It takes courage - to actually “see” them - and be willing to care. Are you willing? Will you take the time to bring God’s love - here to this place - where we live?

The Lord knows what is in each heart - He knows what is in yours - - - are you willing to look - as well? Only then - can you give it to Him - to heal . . .

God bless you in the coming week ahead!

In His Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home