Monday, December 20, 2004

Weekly Word for Dec. 18 - 25, 2004

Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart.
(Psalm 37: 4)


A few days ago - I found myself reading through some answers that friends had written - on a website that I like to visit. The question that each was answering was: What do you wish for - this Christmas? As I read their answers - I thought about what I wished for - - - and found myself full of so many thoughts and feelings - - - of Christmases past - and of the Christmas that would soon be here . . .

and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts . . .
(Romans 5: 5)


What do you wish for? - It was Christmas, and I was so excited - and so nervous! I had been wishing and hoping for so long - and now I was pregnant! As we celebrated that Christmas - I couldn’t believe it - I was going to have a child! Over the next few months - my stomach got bigger and bigger - and we started planning for when the baby would be born. We bought a little house - and our friends came to visit. We were friends with one couple - who were somewhat older than we were - and didn’t have any children. I wondered about that - but didn’t ask any questions. Then the day came - when I brought my new son home from the hospital. She came to visit - my friend. As she sat there holding him - I saw it! It was there in her eyes as she held him - the wishing - and wanting - a child! So much was there on her face - her sad smile - and the tears in her eyes - said she had been wishing for quite a while. We sat there with this new little baby - not talking - but knowing that there was something missing in her life . . .

Love - bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things . . .
(1 Corinthians 13: 7)


It was just before Christmas - and Mike was not quite 6 months old - when the phone rang. My friend’s voice - full of excitement - asked if I would come over to her house. She only lived a few minutes away - and so I packed up Mike - and off we went. As I drove in the yard - she came out - shaking and crying - and so excited! Inside the house - was her new baby boy! He was three months old - and to his brand new mother - he was the most beautiful baby in the world! She had wished and prayed for years - and then - - - he was there! This little baby boy - was her Christmas miracle!

Love - bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things - Love never fails;
(1 Corinthians 13: 7 & 8)


What do you wish for? So many times, through the years, my wishes have been around those I love. There was the Christmas when I wished I could find a “Cabbage Patch Doll”! That Christmas - Jenny was just over 3 years old. She and her best friend Sarah had asked “Santa” for those dolls that they had seen on the television - the ones born in a “Cabbage Patch“! Sarah and Jenny had been together since they were born -they were inseparable! And so it wasn’t a surprise to either Kathy or I - that both girls wanted the same thing! As the Christmas season started - we wondered how we would be able to get them. We had put our names on every toy store list - and still hadn’t heard a thing! The dolls were hard to find - and so we waited . . . .
As it got closer and closer to Christmas - I started to worry - and wondered what I would do if I couldn’t find the doll. As I looked at my little girl - with her long dark hair and big brown eyes - I wondered how I would explain why she didn’t get what she wished for . . .

In hope against hope - he believed . . .
(Romans 4: 18)


It was two days before Christmas - when the phone rang! There were two cabbage patch dolls waiting for us at the store. Excitedly, Kathy and I got ready to leave. My husband couldn’t understand why I would go out in the dark and snow - for a doll! But we left anyways!

That night - it felt like magic! In the snow we drove to the store - with Christmas music on the radio - and laughing the whole way. When we got there - we couldn’t wait to see the dolls that were ours! There was a brown haired doll and a blonde - and we knew that each girl would have their wishes come true on Christmas morning. But the true wishes - were ours! We wanted so much for our little girls . . .
Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.

Those wondrous works of Him who is perfect in knowledge . . .
(Job 37: 14 - 16)


Through the years - there have been things I have wished for - that didn’t happen - and others that did! Sometimes I find myself wishing for one more Christmas with Norma. It is a wish that cannot come true. But it comes from a gift of love and friendship - and that gift lasts with me - always!
There is a wonderful song that Bill Gaither wrote - for his children - about the wishes he and his wife had for their children. The song speaks of wishing for love and joy - as well as some “losses” - so that we might appreciate the gifts we have - - - and cherish those we love - with all our hearts!

Every perfect gift is from above . . .
(James 1: 17)


What do I wish for? - I wish for moments of “miracles” and joy - with my husband and family - and those I love! They come when we least expect them. They are the gifts of fireworks over Niagra Falls in winter - and concerts in the park. They are moments when I look and see the joy on the face of one of my granddaughters - and I hear the words “I love you!” These are the wishes I have for you too - wishes for “miracles” in your own life!

What do I wish for? - I wish that each person will know the true gift of Christmas - His Love - and that in that Love - there will be wonderful moments of pure joy, laughter, and friendships - that will last forever! As we come to this new Christmas Day - do not give up on hopes and wishes - for they are found everyday - in God’s gifts - for you! There are “miracles” all around . . . .

God bless you in the coming week ahead!

In His Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home