Friday, February 04, 2005

Weekly Word for Feb. 4 to 11, 2005


Weekly Word - February 4, 2005

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”
(John 16: 33)

He had been born in a small, rural town in eastern Connecticut. Born to parents who were farmers - he grew up helping his father - with the animals and chores that went with living on a farm. He was a smart child - but shy - and his teachers all liked this quiet young boy. He didn’t stand out as the most popular - or the most athletic - but he definitely seemed like a nice young man. Receiving full scholarships to college - the thin boy with glasses left the farm - heading to the next stage of his life. So when the young woman died at his college - no one suspected a thing . . .

“For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”
(Mathew 16: 26)

We had just moved to Connecticut - and the papers were full of the stories of this young man. He was a “Serial Killer” - and the pictures of the young girls tore at the heart. I was the mother of two young children - and I hated what I was reading about! How could anyone do such terrible things?

The man was found guilty of murder - and sentenced to die. And most of us wanted to forget about him - and the reality that anything so atrocious could happen in our little part of the world. And then I met his parents . . .

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted . . .”
(Mathew 5: 4)

I liked them - and that was a surprise! I wondered how it all could have happened . . . How could their son have become a murderer . . . How were they able to handle such grief . . . How does a soul get so lost in darkness . . .

“He who walks in the darkness . . . does not know where he goes . . .”
(John 12: 35b)

Many years ago - when I was pregnant with my first baby - I heard a story on the news that made me so sad - - - so upset . . .

I was about 7 months pregnant when I heard about the newborn baby that was found in a box - by the railroad tracks. As I read the story - I was horrified! How could anyone leave a baby to die? The baby’s body had the umbilical chord still attached - and the authorities were looking to find the mother. Feeling my baby moving inside - I put my hands there - trying to protect him - trying to find comfort - - - grieving for the life that was lost . . .

A few days later - they found a very young teen-age girl - who had given birth to the baby. She was so young - and no one had known she was even having a baby! When that day came - in pure terror - she and her boyfriend were there when the baby was born. It didn’t breath - - - and it didn’t cry - - - and the two children didn’t know what to do. And the families - and community - and all who heard - mourned . . .

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you, that their angels in heaven continually behold the face of My Father who is in heaven.”
(Mathew 18: 10)

Over the years - I have thought about that young girl - and her choices. As I held my baby - and watched him grow - I would wonder about the “if only’s” in her life. A few years later - I found myself working at a Crisis Pregnancy Center - wondering why I was there - - - until the moment that young mother came rushing into the center - handing me her new born baby - saying that “we” were the ones that made it possible for her to have her baby!

“What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying?”

“Thus it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.”
(Mathew 18: 12 & 14)

Today - in our nation’s highest court - it will be decided if a man who has been in prison for almost 20 years - on death row - will be put to death in the early hours of the morning - tomorrow. It is the last “appeal” for this man’s life. The families of those young women - between the ages of 14 and 24 - lost their daughters, sisters, and wives - all those years ago.

I don’t have an answer to if it is “right” or “wrong” to put this man to death. What I do know is - the enemy won part of this battle. Lives were lost - and suffering happened for so many! It wasn’t God’s plan for any of them - - - but it did happen!

Where is the Lord? He was right there - holding those girls - and taking them home when another choose wickedness. He is here now - to walk with the families who are still living with the grief. And He is with you and I - as we pray for others - as we allow ourselves to care - to make a difference - to fight wickedness - and to help those who are hurting.

“The thief comes only to steal and kill, and destroy; I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly.”
(John 10: 10)

"Again therefore Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world: he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
(John 8:12)

This world we live in - is not perfect! Terrible things happen - and sometimes wickedness is chosen. We - you and I - have choices set before us every day! We can choose to walk this life with God - - - or not. If we so choose - we can make a difference. We become His Life - here on earth. Will you say yes? Will you choose to care?

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.” “Let your light shine before men in such a way - that they may see . . .”
(Mathew 5: 14 & 16)

God bless you in the coming week ahead!

In His Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home