Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving - a time to remember . . .

There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time fore very event under heaven . . .

Thanksgiving - a time to remember . . .

It is funny how we all seem to remember "Thanksgiving" as a time of so many good things. And truthfully, it is supposed to be just that. A time to think back, and thank God for all the good things in our lives. But when I started to think about - and then write about it - I realized that sometimes they actually were full of joy and celebration. But just as many joyfull memories that I have, I also had times of hurt, or sadness, or even times that were bittersweet. I think that is the truth for each and every one of us. The truth is, our lives are full of it all - the good and the bad. And Thanksgiving is kind of a day to look back, at the things we have gone through . . .

For me, I remember so many wonderful smells, and times with my grandparents and family. I remember the laughter as Nana would shoe us out of the room. I remember parades, and yelling at my brothers when they would get to fighting in the living room. Those were years of childlike wonder, where each of us wrote prayers - to be said around the table. It was a time of family, of loving, and even of fighting.

Then I remember having little ones, and being so thankful for my children. The years were markers of a time that had both good - and bad in it. When my divorce was finally done with, it was right before Thanksgiving. It was a time of both sadness, as well as wonder - - - a wonder at what the future might bring . . .

One of the most difficult and yet wonderful Thanksgivings I ever had, was the one where Ted brought me to meet his family. I was so scared the entire 10 hours of driving. It was snowing out, and driving was terrible! Even so, we continued to drive on, worried - but trusting we would somehow get there. As we finally got closer, we called Ted's grandmother's house - only to find out that Grandpa had just been admitted to the hospital with a stroke. We drove straight to the hospital that night. Grandpa was the first of Ted's family that I met that Thanksgiving. We walked into the hospital room, and I worried what to say to this man who I had never met. But when he took my hand, tears were in his eyes. I knew at that moment - that I loved him! Even though he couldn't speak, his heart was right there, telling me how glad he was for his oldest grandson. As I stood there, I cried at meeting the man who had made Ted the person he was - and is. That Thanksgiving was so full - of meeting a new family - of learning more about my husband - and the family who raised him . . .

This coming Thanksgiving is going to be very difficult. There won't be a trip to my mom and dad's this year. There won't be a time to sit around and visit with my brothers and their families - laughing together - like we did last year. Instead, mom will be with my brother Wayne, while Ted and I celebrate Thanksgiving here. Our children can't visit with us this year, and yet I am so happy for them all. Mike is busy with his new wife, and their 5 children. The love I saw in their faces last week during their wedding - makes my heart so happy. Just thinking about them - makes me smile. My Jenny will be busy working in Vermont on Thanksgiving. She has little ones there, as well as her fiance, who will need her love and care. I will miss her terribly, but I know how blessed I am to have her in my life. So this year, Ted and I will celebrate alone. It makes me somewhat sad, but also looking forward to a day alone with my amazing husband . . .
Thanksgiving? It is a day full of joy, wonder, and every other emotion. Sometimes there is sadness, and sometimes hurt. But always - - - there has been the Lord - helping not only me - but all of us.

My wish for each and everyone of my family and friends this Thanksgiving? That there be a time of joy in the midst of whatever is going on in your life. May God bless you with some time of love, and laughter, and even times of sadness as we look back at those we have said good-bye to.

May you all, have a very blessed - and memorable - Thanksgiving Celebration . . .

In His Love,

Debbie & Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home