Friday, July 01, 2005

Weekly Word for July 1 - 8, 2005


Weekly Word - July 1, 2005

“While the earth remains, - Seedtime and harvest,
And cold and heat, - And summer and winter,
And day and night - shall not cease.”
(Genesis 8: 22)

As we were praying, I could feel the warmth of Ted’s hands in mine. I was so glad to have this time of closeness - with not only Ted - but with the Lord. I listened to his words, as he prayed for the day and what lay ahead. He prayed for those we loved, and for friends we cared about - and then I heard: And Lord, cover the good seeds that have been planted, and You water them - until it is time for them to grow.” When he prayed those words, I could feel my heart - and the wishes for the person who we had been praying for. So many times over the years, I had watched the good seeds go in - - - and wondered what had happened after that . . .

And there is a time for every event under heaven - A time to give birth, and a time to die; A time to plant, and a time to uproot what is planted.
(Ecclesiastes 3: 1 & 2)

A number of years ago, a young couple came to the ministry for counseling. The wife had called and made the appointment, making it clear that she was determined to get a divorce. Her husband had committed the ultimate betrayal - and she didn’t believe that she could forgive him. So as I sat waiting to meet them, I wondered what they would be like and if we were all wasting our time.

When Rachel and Dan (not their real names) walked into the room, I immediately liked them both. She was sweet and pretty, and my heart went out to her. He was tall and lanky, with his head and shoulders hanging down - looking full of despair and sorrow. As I looked at the two, I knew that they had given up on their marriage - - - but I felt like it somehow wasn’t over! I listened as they told of a marriage full of hurts - full of drinking and drugs - and the two little children who were waiting at home. And then I heard it - the words that seemed straight from God - “are you willing?” “Will you try for a brand new life?”

That day was the beginning of watching them grow. They had said “yes” - and the Lord came into their lives. They came to bible studies and went to church, and their young family started to learn about Life. Each came for counseling, and together they grew strong. They became friends who I liked - and the future for them seemed so full - and so bright . . .

There is an appointed time for everything . . . A time to plant, and a time to uproot what is planted - - - A time to tear apart, and a time to sew together . . .
(Ecclesiastes 3: 1, 2, & 7)

To this day, I remember moments in time that we shared. They are moments of joy, as well as heartache. There was the day that Rachel came to visit me, and shared my joy when I found out that Jen had been accepted at the college she wanted to go to. We jumped up and down, screeching and laughing - and it became a moment frozen in time.

The day that my first grandbaby died - Rachel was also there - crying with me and praying with me - as she shared in my grief and heartache. These were moments that I will remember forever . . .

But again, things changed - and soon Rachel and Dan were divorced. I can’t even tell you why - but the old hurts and wounds seemed to resurface. Rachel didn’t trust Dan - and she started to accuse him of things he hadn‘t done. Dan couldn’t stand her screaming all the time - and he turned away from her. Their two little ones, were again in the middle of the war between their parents.

“and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, ‘First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat - into my barn.’”
(Mathew 13: 30)

Every now and then, we hear about Rachel and Dan. Did the good seeds that were planted get lost? I don’t think so. But the hurts and wounds were still inside - and so they grew as well. When it is time, the Lord will be there to help the good seeds to grow - and to take the hurts - burning them up - healing them, forever. I miss them! But I am glad that I got the chance to be part of their lives for a time - to be used to plant some “good seeds” . . .

“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth, . . .
So shall My word be - which goes forth . . .”
(Isaiah 55: 10 & 11)

He was just 17 years old, and he had just started dating Jen, who was barely 16! Like most moms I knew, it was difficult to trust my daughter with any boy - and so I was worried when I first met him. I wish I could say that I instantly liked him - but because he was dating my daughter - I didn’t even give him a chance! I was a single mom at the time, and so I was alone in wondering what to do and how to keep my daughter safe. I worried constantly, and hoped for the best.

Over the next few years though, I got to know a little more about “who” he was. Jen was always bringing him over - for supper or to study - they were around constantly. They would just “hang out” at the house, watching television or just talking. When I finally gave him a chance - I really liked who he was. He was bright, artistic, and seemed always to be asking questions. Over supper, we would talk - about school and jobs, friends and family, as well as about faith and God. I seemed to always be telling him about my beliefs - and about God in my life. And I would wonder what he thought about Jen’s mother who didn’t seem able to keep quiet.

I liked him, but that doesn’t mean I still didn’t worry about these two kids who were always together. I worried as he got ready to head off to college - wondering about their relationship - and what would happen. Over the next few years, they continued to date - seeing each other when school allowed. During those times, he would again be at the house - and again we talked about so many things. He was changing and growing - and I wondered about the young man he was becoming . . .

When the two finally did break up - I wondered if I would ever see him again. I realized that I had grown to care about him - this boy who had matured into such a talented young man - right before my eyes . . .

“So shall My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me empty,” (Isaiah 55: 11)

A few months ago - I got a letter from him. In it - he told me all about his life - his job and all that he had been doing. As I read it - I smiled. And then he told me something else - that made me cry. He told me that he was glad for the times we had spent talking - and for the things I had told him about - my faith and beliefs - and how he still remembers them - to this day . . .

“The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field; and this is smaller than all other seeds;
But when it is full grown, it is larger than the garden plants, and becomes a tree . . .”
(Mathew 13: 31 & 32)

Each of us has both good and bad - sown into us. But it takes the Lord to know how to help us to grow - into trees of Life . . .

I met him when he was in the last few years of his life. I was working through the local hospital - helping the sick and elderly to stay in their homes for as long as possible. When they gave me Paul (not his real name), they told me that he was quite gruff and had scared off a few of the girls who had been sent to help him. So on this day, I was ready to meet this “grouchy old man”!

As I knocked on the door, I heard someone yell “Who is it?”. I yelled back my name and told him that I was there to help him. He let me in, telling me “I’m a mean son-of-a (bad word!) and you might want to leave now!” I looked at him and laughed and said “nope!” and started cleaning his little apartment. That was the beginning of how I spent Tuesdays for the next year and a half. He would tell me that he was “mean” and then make me some lunch. I would listen as he told me stories of his life, while I washed his floors and cleaned his kitchen. He would ask me about my life - and I would tell him little bits and pieces - all while I kept on working. He would tell me about the fights he had with his doctor, and how he yelled at her - and then he would ask me if I thought he should call and apologize. I really liked Paul, and knew that he liked me as well. He had spent most of his life gambling, drinking, and wandering around the country. But he also had loved and been hurt. He had a daughter who he didn’t see very often - and the hurt could be found just under his gruff exterior.

Over time, we talked about Paul’s medical condition - and the fact that he wasn’t expected to live very long. He was on oxygen, and had a bad heart - and he barely could walk from his bed to the kitchen. He knew that his body had been made sicker by the choices he had made - and he blamed no one but himself for his condition. He had worked all sorts of jobs - driving trucks, working construction, owning a restaurant and being a cook. We talked about it all. And then we talked about the Lord and my faith - and the fact that I liked him and believed that God did too . . .

“Behold, the sower went out to sow; and as he sowed, some seeds fell beside the road and the birds came and ate them up.
And others fell upon the rocky places, where they did not have much soil . . .
And others fell among the thorns . . .
(but) Others fell on the good soil, and yielded a crop . . .”
(Mathew 13: 3 - 8)

Many things had gone into Paul’s life - good and bad - rocks and thorns - as well as love and hate. On the day that I told Paul that I was going to be leaving, he tried to hide his tears. He made me a special meal, that last Tuesday that I worked for him. I told him that I would visit when I could - and I did - twice. But he would send me notes and forwards on his computer - and I would write back as well. There were jokes, as well as prayers - and forwards about the Lord. The man who had greeted me so gruffly, had shown me his heart. And for that, I felt privileged to have known him. The letters have since stopped - and my letters are returned “undeliverable”. So I don’t know if Paul has left this earth. But if he has - I have faith that I will see him again - on the other side . . .

Seed time and harvest . . . Day and night - shall not cease . . .

Seedtime and harvest - So much has been planted in each of us - both good and bad. For the friend that Ted and I were praying for - I don’t know if we will have the privilege of seeing the “harvest” - of seeing what God will do in their life. We don’t know how long each of us will be on this earth - or in another’s life. But the time we do have - can be such a gift . . .

Are you willing - to try for a brand new life? That was the question to the couple - and is the question I ask you. The Lord knows the seeds of life that are waiting to be planted in you. He also knows where the hurts are - the “tares” that need to be taken away forever . . . Are you willing . . .

God bless you in the coming week ahead!

In His Perfect Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home