Friday, April 29, 2005

Weekly Word for April 29 - May 6, 2005


Weekly Word - April 29, 20005

“Listen to this . . . Stand and consider . . . the wonders of God.” “Do you know how God establishes them, and makes the lightening of His cloud to shine?”
“Do you know . . . The wonders of one perfect in knowledge,”
(Job 37: 14 - 16)

Ted and I had finally found some time to talk, to spend time listening to each other, telling each other how we felt about things. We talked about how busy we had been, and about the children and grandchildren. We talked about everyday things, and also important things. And then we talked about what was really important, what was in our hearts . . .

“What if I don’t write any more? What if I do something else?” I asked. As I said it, I wondered about so many things - - - should I get a regular job? - - - was I doing what I should be doing? - - - what did Ted want? - - - what did God want me to do? It had been such a difficult few months, and I wasn‘t sure if what I was doing, was worth the sacrifice . . .

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, Thou wilt revive me;
(Psalm 138: 7)

As Ted listened to me, he asked me what I wanted to do, what would make me happy? I wasn’t sure . . . I had been writing for over two years now, telling the stories of the Lord in my life. And still, I didn’t even know who was reading them . . . Would it make a difference if I stopped . . .

The whole multitude - began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the miracles which they had seen . . .
And some of the Pharisees - said to Him,- “rebuke Your disciples.”
And He answered and said, “I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!”

(Luke 19: 39 & 40)

It was spring, and his wife had left him a few months earlier. He had been coming for counseling and to the bible study for a while, and the head of the ministry asked for his help. The old apartment needed some renovations, and she wondered what he thought could be done to make it better. As he stood in the apartment, his heart sank. The walls, the floor, the ceiling - not to mention the electrical and plumbing - all needed major work and repairs! She asked him if it would be alright to pray there, asking the Lord what to do. A bit hesitant, he agreed.

As she started to pray, he felt it! It was as if his skin was warm and cold, all at once. The feeling overwhelmed him, and He knew God was there! Was he supposed to do the job? How? He had been struggling through his own heartaches and pain, how was he supposed to take on more troubles? Despite his doubts, he told her “yes”, and his life was changed forever! At that moment, he became part of God’s hands and work, here on earth. As he demolished the walls, taking out all that was old and rotten, he found himself in the midst of God’s presence. As the floors and walls took shape, his own life started to change as well. Each day began with prayer, and the days became full of life.

The Lord will accomplish what concerns me; . . . Thy lovingkindness, O Lord, is everlasting; (Psalm 138: 8)

Did he doubt? Yes, many times! As Ted was working on rebuilding that apartment, there were times when the job seemed too much for 20 men - and he wondered how he would ever get it done! Through the summer he worked, and each day I would head over to the ministry, and visit with Ted. It was during this time, that our friendship grew. In the fall I was supposed to move into the apartment, and so the pressure to get the job done - grew. Then one night, I found him still there as I came out from seeing a client. He had been working all day, and the fatigue showed. He wondered what he was doing - - - was he doing what he was supposed to be doing - - - why was he doing this . . .

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.”
“Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart;”
“For My yoke is easy, and My load is light.”
(Mathew 11: 28 - 30)

As I sat with him that night, I found myself listening to his hurts and pain. There was so much work, very little money, and no help - - - and it felt impossible! He had tried to talk with the head of the ministry, but she couldn’t hear him. He wasn’t sure he could do this any more - - - the sacrifice was too much . . .

I listened, and I held him as exhaustion overcame him - and he started to cry. As I held him I started to pray, asking the Lord for help. “Don’t do it for her, or even for me - do it for the Lord” the words came. Hearing those words, I looked at him and told him that this job was “for the Lord”.

When Ted finished that apartment, the beauty of it was amazing! As he worked, Ted gave each day - each moment - to God. In doing that, the Lord was “in” that apartment. Ted’s hands had become the Lord’s hands, and it was a true miracle when it was done! It wasn’t just an apartment, but a home filled with love - the love that brought Ted and I together - as man and wife . . .

“For I know the plans that I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans for welfare, and not for calamity - to give you a future and a hope.”
(Jeremiah 29:11)

As we talked, Ted looked at me and asked: “Why do you write?” “Is it alright if only one person ever reads what you write?” and I thought about his questions . . .

For great is the glory of the Lord. For though the Lord is exalted, Yet He regards the lowly; . . . The Lord will accomplish what concerns me; . . .
(Psalm 138: 6 & 8)

I was sick - and hurt - and needed help when I found her, the counselor who would minister to me over the next few years. Through those years, she brought God’s healing into my life. During that time, we became friends. Her life had been dedicated to God’s work for over 25 years when we met. She taught me so much about His Love, and the counseling ministry. As I got stronger and healthier, I wanted to help others - to bring God’s healing to them - like she had helped me! My life had changed forever - because of the Lord - and my friend. But she wasn’t happy - - - she wanted something different - - - she had hoped for more . . .

All through those years of ministering one-on-one to very hurt people, she had a secret hope. It was a hope to do something big - for God! She had gone to many large meetings, where miracles had happened, and thousands of lives had been changed. She wanted to do the same thing - she hoped to be on stage - she hoped for so much more . . .

As our friendship grew, I learned about her secrets - and her hopes. I had seen miracles - I had watched lives changed - she had brought God’s healing to so many people. But it didn’t seem to be enough. Then one day I asked her - “What if God only wanted you to change one life?” “Would it be OK?” “I wish I could say yes - but I can’t” she answered. And the sadness surrounded us both . . .

I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; I have set the Lord continually before me; Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices;
Thou wilt make known to me the path of life;
(Psalm 16: 7 - 11)

“What if God only wanted you to change - one life?” As I thought about all the stories I have written - the words that seemed to come straight from Heaven - I realized that they didn’t just touch others. Those words were stories that brought Life - to me as well.

Why do I write? I write because it is who I am - it is what brings me fully alive! As I realized this, I looked at Ted and laughed. Has it been a sacrifice? Yes. But it has also been a gift - - - a gift of Life . . .

Thou wilt make known to me the path of life; In Thy presence is fulness of joy;
In Thy right hand there are pleasures forever . . .
(Psalm 16: 11)

What path are you on? Over this next week, will you ask Him to show you - your path - to Life . . .

God bless you in the coming week ahead!

In His Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home