Friday, June 02, 2006

"Weekly Word"


And we know that God causes all things to work together for good - to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
(Romans 8: 28)

“I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason - bringing something we must learn. But I don‘t know if I believe that’s true . . . But I know that because I knew you, I have been changed - - - for good . . .” These are some of the words to a song that we heard on the Today Show this morning. The words told of people making “handprints in our souls” that lasted forever. As I listened, I couldn’t help but think back on the people who have helped Ted and I to be “who” we are today - - - the people who changed our lives - - - for good . . .

God causes all things to work together for good . . .

As we walked into the house, I wondered what it would be like - now that Grandma wasn’t living here any more. We had just driven 10 hours, to get to this place - Ted’s home town. His dad let us into the house, and then after a few hugs and “hello’s” - he left us alone in the house. It was late, after 11pm - but we found ourselves just wandering around the house, taking in all the memories and moments from when Ted was younger. As we finally went to bed that night, I wondered what the next week would bring . . .

In the early morning light, the dirt and grime of years of neglect seemed to jump out at us. We quickly found cleaning materials, and starting working on the old house. As we worked, we came across “mementoes” - things that grandma and grandpa had used or made over the years. There were ceramics in every room - as grandma had loved to make pretty things. There were gadgets and tools in the kitchen and garage - all from grandpa. As we worked, there were times when I would sit back and just watch Ted holding something from his grandparents. His eyes seemed to drift back in time - to the boy who had grown up here, learning so much from his grandparents . . .

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
(1 Corinthians 13: 1)

“Because I knew you - - - I have been changed . . .” There in that house, we found so many pictures of times long since gone. There were pictures of Ted as a baby, in his grandma’s arms. There were pictures of Christmas trees and presents - and children everywhere. Each picture was a moment in time - leading to the man who is now my husband.

Over the next week, Ted and I visited as many of his family as we could. We stayed with his brother Brian in Ohio. Here we visited Brian’s church, and listened to him preach. We saw Ted’s sister and her whole family - meeting her grandson for the very first time. We visited with his other brothers in Erie - just sitting and talking about the past few years. And each morning, we visited with Ted’s dad. The days seemed to fly by - and before we knew it - it was time to leave. As we got ready to go - I realized how much each of these people meant to Ted. Each had been a part of Ted’s life - as he grew up in this little town. Each shared certain moments in time with him - the difficult ones - as well as the ones of love and laughter, family and faith . . .

And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
(1 Corinthians 13: 2)

Ted is “who” he is - because of the people who loved him. Ted cooks for me on the week-ends - and I realize that his grandma was a cook, and he learned at her side. Ted also loves to work with his hands - fixing things that are broken. He loves gadgets and tools - and those loves came from his grandpa. So much of what makes Ted “who he is - is because of the handprints of those wonderful people . . .

Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
(1 Corinthians 13: 4)

“Because I knew you - - - I have been changed . . .” Most of us are the people we are today - because of those who have touched our lives.

I grew up with parents who were flawed, selfish, and didn’t know how to take care of their children. They didn’t mean to be like that - but they were. But I also had two grandparents who I knew loved me. My grandpa (my mother’s father) died when I was 14 years old. But even today, I can still see him, and feel his gentle presence, when I close my eyes. He had a soft voice, and never yelled. But when he died, my “Nana” lost her best friend. It seemed like grandpa was always taking care of her - until that terrible day. We were all there - my parents, my brothers, and me - that day when my grandfather had his heart attack. My mother took my grandmother back to our house, and tried to get her to stay there. But she didn’t want to - she wanted to go home! And that’s when I went to live with her.

Everyone seemed to think Nana was weak, but I learned the truth. When Grandpa died - my Nana decided to continue to live her life! She learned to drive at 68, and lived alone until just before she died at 89. She had a quiet way about her, and never demanded attention. She gave to each of us kids, as well as her daughter - without saying a word. I learned so much about strength and love, from watching my grandmother. I wanted to be just like her - when I grew up . . .

Love . . . Does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things believes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails; . . .
(1 Corinthians 13: 6 & 7)

“Because I knew you - - - I have been changed . . .” Each of us are the sum of everything we have lived through - up to this moment in time.

When I think back to those people who have made a difference in my life, I also think of Norma. Her life - changed mine. I don’t think she thought too much about me, when she first met me. She had a life that was so full of friends and activities. She had a strong faith, and was part of a number of ministry groups. And then she met me . . .

I don’t think either of us thought we would become best friends, when we first got to know each other. We were the exact opposite of the other - even down the clothes we wore. She was very tall, and built a lot bigger than I was. She wore suits and skirts, and always seemed dressed up. I wore jeans, or free-flowing dresses that definitely weren’t businesslike. But there we were, working together in the same ministry - and caring for the lives of those mommas and babies. And that’s what brought us together - we both cared . . .

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then - face to face; now I know in part, but then I shall know fully - just as I also have been fully known.
(1 Corinthians 13: 12)

She became the person I called when I was in pain or in trouble. She was the one who listened and prayed with me. She seemed to see in me - things I didn’t know could be there. She trusted me with her secrets, and even with her life. And when she left - a part of my heart left with her . . .

“But I know that because I knew you, I have been changed - - - for good . . .” These words are how I feel about Ted’s grandparents - my Nana - and Norma. They are a few of the people who have touched our lives, in ways that changed us - forever.

The other day, I told Ted that when I look at him - I see his grandpa. I know that when people see me - they also see my grandmother. I guess I also hope that when people look at me - they see a glimpse of Norma too. Each has left their handprints - on our very souls.

But the “One” I hope each of you see - when you look at Ted and me - is the Lord. He is the One who really changed our lives. He brought each gift of love and friendship into our lives. He healed our wounds and our broken hearts. And then - - - He changed our lives forever - bringing “us” together . . .

But now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
(1 Corinthians 13: 13)

This past week-end was Memorial Day. It is a time to “remember” those who have made a difference in our world. It is a time to remember the men and women who gave their lives, for all of us. It is a time to remember - the faces of those who have changed our lives - forever . . .

Each day, when I look in my mirror, I see glimpses of my grandmother’s face looking back at me. But if I look deeper - - - I see so much more . . .
*****************
And we have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
(1 John 4: 16)

Who do you see each morning, when you look into that mirror? It is my hope and prayer that in your own life - - - you will see the hands of God . . .

“These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”
(John 15: 11)

God bless you and keep you until we meet back here again . . .

In His Perfect Love,
Debbie & Ted Ayers

I will be taking the next few months off from writing the “Weekly Word”. During this time, I will be working on a book about friendship and love. It is a book about the friendship that Norma and I shared - until the moment she left. It is about knowing that I will see her again - someday . . .

So during these next few months, I want to ask you to please take the time to read some of the past stories that have been archived here for you. And I pray that you will be blessed by the messages in each - of God’s promises and love.

Thank you all for your love and support,
Debbie


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home